Sunday, April 18, 2010

Rest Day Read Sunday 4-18-10

Rest Day Read (SR-20)
The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe
"If still you think me mad, you will think so no longer when I describe the wise precautions I took for the concealment of the body. The night waned and I worked hastily, but in silence. First of all I dismembered the corpse. I cut off the head and the arms and the legs."
Huh? Seriously, Poe? Are you kidding me? What if you were Poe's friend, or maybe a family member and Poe came to spend the night at your house or you went to spend the night at his house? And, let's say, during the course of this stay, he says, "Hey friend (or family member) I have been working on this new short story, The Tell-Tale Heart, would you read it and tell me what you think?" What would you say after reading? Would you stick around? Would you run as fast as humanly possible to the nearest asylum or police station? Would you wait for him to lie down, find a pillow, then...

No comments: