Friday, July 16, 2010

Rest Day Read July 16, 2010

Rest Day Read (SR-37)
Gruden High School Camp 2010 ESPN Video Series
"Man, I love football, sincerely. It gives me the chance to give back to the game a little bit. Be around my son. I wasn't a very good player when I played the game. I want to help these guys get better. I feel an urgency to do that and I am having a blast."
Part 1

Joy. That is the first thing I see in Coach Gruden's eyes. Joy. Absolute, unadulterated football joy. Passion for the game. I can relate. I have been there. I have felt that joy. I have lived that passion.
Coach Paul Lane always preached the following on the priorities and perspective of football:
"Faith, Family, Football...in that order."
Part 2

I no longer coach football. I miss it. It is like that phantom limb feeling you hear amputees describe about their missing arm or leg. It is there, but gone. The drive, passion and commitment hang in the air like a forgotten mist as I wonder where the young warriors have gone.
Part 3

I no longer coach football for a reason. What happened, you say? The gory details are a rant for another day. But, the heart of the matter boils down to this simple fact: The 3rd F (Football) began to take too much away from the 1st F (Faith) and the 2nd F (Family). I allowed F3 to leap in front the the first two. I got off the track. I learned that F1 and F2 are what is really, really, really good and are what is really, really, really important.

No comments: